Founded in 1965, Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) is one of the oldest and largest industrial design associations in existence. Our roots stretch to the beginning of the profession and our members are, and have been, some of the most celebrated industrial designers of all time. The IDSA community helps strengthen the industrial design profession as a whole and contributes to the boundless impact of design within business, culture and society. Currently, IDSA maintains a roster of over 2,000 members in the United States and internationally. IDSA produces a wide range of annual programming that is coordinated by our distributed headquarter staff in Virginia, New York and California.
MEMBERSHIP & COMMUNITIES
Our membership in the United States is grouped into Professional Chapters and Student Chapters that are centered in cities where our membership lives. Chapters are communities that help to foster professional development through the delivery of localized programming and networking opportunities. Chapter teams often work in close collaboration with other design-focused groups (schools, museums, associations, corporations, etc) in the pursuit of bringing diverse communities closer. Our Chapters are led by 100% volunteer teams who are supported with tools and resources from the IDSA headquarter staff.
In-person events are a hallmark of what has made IDSA so successful over the years. We strive to create safe, welcoming and engaging environments that allow members and non-members alike to enrich their lives and careers as industrial designers. These are facilitated primarily through networking and knowledge exchange encounters, ranging in scale from intimage gatherings of a few to full-blown conference assemblies of 500 participants or more.
- The International Design Conference (IDC) brings together some of the biggest names and brightest minds in industrial design and related fields for three days of inspirational dialogue and interactive experiences.
- Deep Dives are intimate events, tailor-made for design practitioners to share in ID-relevant content built around a specific topic or subject matter.
- The Education Symposium is a one-day proceeding that convenes our rich academic community.
- Local Chapter events happen routinely across the country throughout the year. See our event calendar.
Highlighting the exceptional work of our design community is a cornerstone of IDSA's efforts. One of the primary ways we accomplish this is through our vast portfolio of awards programs, which recognize designers not only for their personal and professional achievements, but also for their contributions to the industrial design profession as a whole. We believe this mission is a vital step in providing a platform that both elevates public awareness of design and strengthens the connection between design and business.
- The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) is a worldwide design competition celebrating the very best in design excellence for design professionals and students.
- Student Merit Awards highlight the very best creativity, problem solving and design brilliance in each of IDSA's five North American Districts.
- IDSA Awards is a collection of awards presented in recognition of significant contribution to the Society or the industrial design profession, excellence in academic advancement or personal achievement.
The collection, curation and distribution of relevant industrial design information is central to IDSA's mission.
- INNOVATION magazine is IDSA’s flagship quarterly publication, which presents cutting-edge content on current trends, research and methodologies.
- designBytes (members only) and designUpdates (open to the broader IDSA community) are email-based communication channels that deliver hyper-current content and news stories to over 25,000 inboxes across the world each month.
- Education Papers are peer reviewed and published annually in close connection to IDSA's Education Symposium.
- IDSA.org is the online home for our organization and has grown to become an ongoing repository of industrial design history, knowledge, case studies and more.
- Connect with IDSA on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
As a unified and trusted resource for the industrial design profession, IDSA protects space for industrial design within a crowded landscape, and amplifies the voice of industrial designers to the business community and society at large. This is an ongoing effort, but some of the ways we accomplish this are:
- Undergraduate & Graduate Scholarships, presented annually to deserving industrial design students in support of their pursuit of a degree.
- National Industrial Design Day, established on March 5, 2015 and entered into the U.S. Congressional Record by U.S. Rep. Gerald E. Connolly.
- IDSA is a long-standing and active member of the World Design Organization.
- The Design Foundation is a 501c(3) organization founded by IDSA in 2001 as a means to expand our outreach and educational efforts.
IDSA is a non-profit 501c(6) organization.