IDSA's network of Women in Design Chapters is a new initiative, launched in 2021, aimed at fostering positive gender equity within our profession and creating welcoming environments for women, women-identifying individuals, and allies to network, connect, and learn from one another. WID Chapters operate much like IDSA's Professional Chapters and provide valuable programming for womxn designers in local communities. IDSA's Women in Design program establishes a robust platform which celebrates the tremendous impact female-identified industrial designers have within our businesses and society at large.
In addition to supporting women in industrial design, our programming encompasses related fields such as user experience design, visual design, service design, design research and design operations. Founded on the belief that balance and inclusion are essential for creative success, our events, resources, and mentorship programs are platforms for inspiring honest conversations and bringing about meaningful change in our industry.
Women in Design Chapters
History of Women in Design at IDSA
IDSA has a long-standing commitment to Women in Design and is continually working to amplify its support to this community by fostering a heightened level of opportunity and connection for women-identifying industrial designers.
To date, IDSA has invested considerable resources in supporting this community group, including with the establishment of a Women's Special Interest Section in 1992, the Women in Design San Francisco community group, and most recently with our annual Women in Design Deep Dive events.
Women in Design Committee
IDSA’s WIDC endeavors to invite participation, encourage dialogue, and enable a community for womxn designers to create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive industrial design profession. At the direction of the Board of Directors, the WIDC, through leadership of its Chair, will:
- Provide mentoring and support to Women in Design Chapter leaders.
- Review and assist with the approval of new city-based Women in Design Chapter groups.
- Foster an inclusive and supportive environment for Women in Design Chapter Leaders and those who participate in Women in Design programming.
- Collaborate, coordinate, and align efforts with the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council (DEIC) on IDSA's DEI goals pertaining to Women in Design.
- Elevate issues of importance to the Board of Directors for consideration, feedback, and action.
- Assist with the curation of speakers and content for IDSA’s Women in Design Deep Dive event, in collaboration with the IDSA events staff.
- Assist in identifying future committee members to replace those whose terms have ended.
Northeast District Representative
Central District Representative
Women in Design Advisory Council
The Women in Design Advisory Council will support the Women in Design Committee as needed and when requested by the Committee. This group of experienced leaders will provide valuable strategic guidance, historical perspective, and deep industry connection in helping the Committee achieve their goals. Additionally, this group will assist IDSA’s Board of Directors and other internal decision makers as needed the development of our WID platform and other, yet-to-be-established programming to support women industrial designers in the future.
A standing liaison position will be reserved for a member of IDSA’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Council to also serve on this Council. Members of this council will be renewed as needed on a bi-annual (2 year) basis.