IDSA, through its Design Foundation, offers two scholarships each year with funds generously donated by our community members and corporations. These scholarships allow the Design Foundation to assist students at the earliest stages of their design careers by providing much needed financial support. To date, the Design Foundation has distributed over $30,000 in scholarship tuition assistance to a diverse pool of talented design students. In addition to financial support, scholarship recipients also receive significant community recognition through IDSA's media channels and a featured article in INNOVATION magazine. Recipients of our scholarships go on to do great things within the design community and achieve great successes professionally.
2021 Program Dates
Entry opens: April 19 | Entry closes: May 19 | Recipients announced: July 26
Gianninoto Industrial Design Graduate Scholarship
Recipients are awared a $1,500 USD scholarship to be used for graduate course tuition fees in the completion of an industrial design degree. All applications are reviewed by IDSA's Academic Jury and the scholarship is given to one individual each year who displays excellence in the work submitted.
This scholarship was established with a $25,000 contribution by the late Francesco Gianninoto, FIDSA, a US package designer who was a founder of the Package Design Council, and president of Gianninoto Associates from 1932 to 1983. One of his most famous designs was the “Elsie Daisy,” the Borden Cow. Gianninoto was an honorary professor at Western Connecticut State University, where he taught communication through design.
- Applicants must be in their final year of study in an undergraduate industrial design program and currently applying/accepted to graduate school, or a student currently enrolled in an industrial design graduate program in the United States.
- Applicants who are practicing professionals returning to graduate school are eligible to apply.
- Once an applicant has been awarded a Gianninoto graduate scholarship, he/she is ineligible to apply again even if application criteria is met.
Industrial Design Undergraduate Scholarship
- Applicants must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student and pursuing an industrial design degree in the United States.
- Applicants must have at least one semester of undergraduate studies remaining prior to graduation; and must be earning a “B” or better cumulative GPA.
- Once an applicant has been awarded a Design Foundation undergraduate scholarship, he/she is ineligible to apply again even if they still meet the application criteria.