What is the Future of the Future for the Industrial Designers Society of America as the Society marks its 50th Anniversary?
From May 27 to 29, 2015 in the Society’s headquarters in Herndon, VA, just outside Washington, DC, IDSA’s newly-elected Chair of the Board of Directors revealed his agenda, as he led the first meeting of the new Board since new members assumed office May 1, 2015.
John Barratt, IDSA, is president and CEO of TEAGUE—one of the most established and respected design firms in the world. Now, he’s bringing his leadership to the top spot on the IDSA Board. “As industrial designers, we have to learn new skills, new levels of collaboration, new levels of agility,” explains Barratt in a new video. “We have great opportunities ahead of us and I’m really happy at this time to be leading this Society as we forge that path forward.”
Barratt has three, key goals for his two-year term:
- Ensuring IDSA has an experienced and effective Board of Directors and leadership team, sharing joint responsibility in creating a strategic vision for the organization.
- Guiding IDSA to: embrace and support the broader community that encompasses the profession of design today; lead ID and inspire design quality; and elevate the business of design.
- Strengthening IDSA’s long-standing core activities including the International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) and the annual International Conference to further establish the Society as the leading voice and advocate of IDSA members and the design profession.
Barratt, a former IDEA Jury Chair, believes the competition is “the authority on design” and IDEA jurying is “the most rigorous and thoughtful” in the world. The latest IDEA Awards unveiling is set for IDSA’s International Conference in Seattle. This year—a new twist, as Gold and Silver winners are kept under wraps until the big reveal on August 22, 2015.
Says Barratt of his main goals: “If we can do these three things, we will have created a foundation that the next generation of IDSA leadership can build upon, and take this Society into the next 50 years,” explains Barratt.
The Board meetings were co-led by IDSA Executive Director Daniel Martinage, CAE.
Board members include:
- Chair John Barratt, IDSA
- Chair Emeritus Austen Angell, IDSA
- Secretary/Treasurer George Daniels, L/IDSA
- Education Vice President Ayse Birsel, IDSA
- Chapter Vice President Rebecca Alvord, IDSA
- Section Vice President Sean Hägen, IDSA
- At-Large Director Mieko Kusano, IDSA
- At-Large Director Megan Neese, IDSA
- Central District Vice President Jeevak Badve, IDSA
- Northeast District Vice President Jeremy Van Hill, IDSA
- Midwest District Vice President Marianne Grisdale, IDSA
- South District Vice President Chris Livaudais, IDSA
- West District Vice President Jason Belaire, IDSA
In IDSA's 50th anniversary year, the Society also hosted five District Design Conferences in the spring. From August 19 to 22 in Seattle, IDSA will host its International Conference: Future of the Future, chaired this year by Surya Vanka, IDSA. Registration is open. Early Bird rates are available through June 15. Follow @IDSA #IDSASeattle15 on Twitter.
IDSA's second Medical Design Conference. chaired by Mary Beth Privitera, IDSA, is s set for Oct. 20-22 at Tampa's Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation.