Registration is open for IDSA’s Medical Design Conference 2018—set for March 29 at Boston Marriott Copley Place. EXPERIENCE will explore the potency of designing, researching and experiencing healthcare products and environments that weld human performance, business and the dignity of users. See the schedule and rates.
“We’ll cover everything from future trends that impact medical design—to best practices and tools and techniques for the research and design of effective medical product and environments,” says conference Chair Bryce Rutter, PhD, IDSA, founder and CEO of Metaphase Design Group, an IDSA Ambassador. “EXPERIENCE will provide a wide range of attendees—from corporate and consulting designers to medical design students and educators—with unrivaled content and networking opportunities.”
EXPERIENCE will dive into mind shares from thought leaders on the impact of IoT, robotics and nanotechnology on ID—to share-outs by leading experts on best practices in healthcare design today. Dynamic speakers include experts and educators in medical design, human factors and much more:
- Austen Angell, FIDSA, Modern Edge:"Opioids: Designing for a Public Health Crisis"
- Alex Dupont & Bobby Garfield, Radius: "Advancing the Design Process by Mixing Augmented Reality and Physical Prototypes"
- Mary Forhan, PhD & Robert Lederer, IDSA, University of Alberta, Canada: "Welding the Bariatric Experience with the Healthcare Service Delivery Environment"
- Teodor Grantcharov MD, FACS, PhD, St. Michael’s Hospital & University of Toronto: "Surgical Black Box: Using Data to Enhance Human Performance and Improve Patient Safety"
- Kate Knudsen, Intuitive Surgical: "How Robotics Has Forever Changed Surgery"
- Pavitra Krishnamani, MS, MD candidate, Thomas Jefferson University: "The Virtual Reality of Healthcare"
- Lynde Lutzow, MD candidate, Tufts University; formerly w/ Ximedica: "Through the Eyes of a Designer Turned Clinician"
- Charles Mauro, CHFP, IDSA, MAURO Usability Science: "Advanced Methods for Use In Optimization of Medical Device HFE Performance"
- Aidan Petrie, Ximedica: "Alexa, what’s wrong with me?”
- Chris Rockwell, Lextant: "Empathic by Design: Care in the Age of Patient Experience"
- Bob Schwartz, FIDSA, GE Healthcare: "We're Here for the Humans!"
- Mitzi Vernon, IDSA, College of Design, University of Kentucky: "TEACHING THE FUTURE: Healthcare Designers"
And don't miss two, in-situ, pre-conference workshops (separate registration) on March 28 at Boston Children's Hospital:
- 8am–12pm "Contextual Inquiry in the Clinical Environment" by Sean Hägen, IDSA, HFES, BlackHägen Design
- 1–5pm "Unlocking New Value through Healthcare Experience Mapping" by Jonathan Dalton, IDSA, and Trent Kahute, IDSA, THRIVE, an IDSA Ambassador
The timing couldn’t better as this fourth IDSA Medical Design Conference follows the HFES International Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care, which will be held from March 26 to 28, also at Boston Marriott Copley Place.
Follow the journey to EXPERIENCE using #IDSAMedical on @IDSA on Twitter; Industrial Designers Society of America on LinkedIn and Facebook; and @IDSAdesign on Instagram. Sponsorships opportunities are available. Supporters include Eastman, GE Healthcare, SABIC, Sherwin-Williams, THRIVE and TACTILE. Join the IDSA Medical Special Interest Section, chaired by Kelly Umstead, IDSA, and the IDSA Medical Special Interest Section's LinkedIn group.