Design Studio Open Houses and More!
IDSA's International Design Conference 2017 in Atlanta is featuring offsite visits you can't miss!
Thurs., Aug. 17:
Explore one of the largest urban renewal projects in the country and one of the most exciting venues in Atlanta! The BeltLine project is converting 21 miles of old railroad beds into multi-use pathways for pedestrian/cycling looping around Atlanta. This is a self-guided, free exploration of a two mile stretch of the Beltline, spanning from Piedmont Park in the north to Krog Street Market in the south. Along the way, find critically-acclaimed restaurants and watering holes, parks, a skateboard park and art installations. In the middle is the immensely popular Ponce City Market, once an industrial factory, now renovated with eateries and shops, many featuring Atlanta-made goods. Also on the rooftop of Ponce City Market is an open-air midway including miniature golf, a multi-story slide and one of the best views of Atlanta!
6:30-10:30PM | Fri., Aug. 18:
Information is expected at the conference on possible transportation options to the following open houses:
- Creature and Enginuity Works: 2195 Defoor Hills Rd., Ste. A, Atlanta, GA 30318 | Join Creature (industrial design) and Enginuity Works (engineering)—two companies working collaboratively to design products—for drinks, food, music and conversation under an awesome geodesic dome!
- Formation Design Group: 1263 Barnes St., Atlanta GA 30318 | Talk about great timing! Formation's new office makes its debut just in time for #IDSA17Atlanta. And Keyshot and Wacom will help throw the party and give away some of their products to celebrate. Enjoy food, refreshments and entertainment! (Parking is limited.)
- thrive, an IDSA Ambassador: 1000 Marietta St. NW, Ste. 290, Atlanta, GA 30318 | #IDSA17Atlanta attendees will enjoy a studio tour and after party at 5 Seasons Brewery’s Biergarten! “We're excited to show the design community why Atlanta is a growing tech mecca with a thriving design and innovation scene,” says Jonathan Dalton, CEO and co-founder of the product development and innovation strategy firm founded in 2010.
- Georgia Tech School of Industrial Design: 245 Fourth St. NW, Atlanta, GA 30332 | Conference attendees are invited to an open house reception featuring tours and hands-on activities in Georgia Tech ID's research labs; showcase of student work; and interactive exhibits. Local BBQ and drinks will be provided.
- Big Bang: 409 Mead Rd., Unit 7, Decatur, GA 30030 | Located in the business district popularly known as Oakhurst village, Big Bang is excited to open its doors (and windows) for a warm southern welcome to fellow design and IDSA colleagues. The studio will be serving Fox Brothers BBQ and local Sweetwater 420 beer.
- Maven: 692 Kirkwood Ave. SE, Ste. C1, Atlanta, GA 30316 | All are welcome to join a fun night of drinks and good conversations in this space located in the heart of one of Atlanta's most creative neighborhoods: Cabbagetown.
- Orange Sparkle Ball and Spark Corps: 700 McGruder St. NE, Studio D, Atlanta, GA 30312 | Join Orange Sparkle Ball (research + design strategy) and Spark Corps (social impact design) for corn hole, food and drink along the Beltline! Come help us user test some bar games being prototyped by OSB. Take a peek at the #IDSA IDEA 2017 Top Winner design by Spark Corps!
- People of Resource: 828 Ralph McGill Blvd., Ste. W6, Atlanta, GA 30306 | "It’s a real dog & pony show as People of Resource opens the kimono and runs it up the flag pole for a night of drinking the Kool-Aid, edutainment and making hay with IDSA’s finest," we're told! Come see what it's all about.
Join the fun and post your tour photos using #IDSA17Atlanta on social media!