With roots stretching back to 2005, the 14th Annual Bay Area Design Dodgeball Tournament brings together designers from the San Francisco Bay Area for a mega clash-royale. As designers, it's in our blood to be fiercely competitive, but at no other time throughout the year can we combine our physical strength, creativity and sportsmanship. Building on all that's come before us, there's no doubt that this year's tournament will go into the record books as an epic event filled with intensity, camaraderie and friendship.
Opening Ceremony & National Anthem
Food & drinks (starts 11am)
After party (Local bar TBD)
What I need to know
Ridiculous uniforms are a must
It's pretty much mandatory to wear a unifying, wacky, ubsurd uniform. Whether a costume or T-shirt, the more absurd, the better. Although there's no contest, people will be talking, so make it memorable. Oh yeah, unless you've never stepped outside, the Bay Area is usually cold, then hot. Wear layers.
Team bases and activities
Plan to set up a home base for your team. Stock it with tents, umbrellas, lawn chairs and blankets. IDSA National will be at the tournament with some fun things for you to do as well.
Your older self will thank you.
The battle ground
The new and improved rules
- IDSA members start each game with a ball in hand! Read the rulebook for more details. (https://www.idsa.org/sites/default/files/DodgeballRulebook.pdf)
- Second place team hosts the tournament the following year!
Code of Conduct
Our goal is to ensure an enjoyable experience for all who attend.
Sexual language and imagery, including but not limited to the tournament itself, parties or on social media
Offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion, technology choices, sexual images in public spaces
Deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording
Inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention
Sustained disruption of tournament activities
Anyone found to be violating this Code of Conduct is subject to removal from the tournament and its related activities without a refund. Sole discretion to remove an individual resides with the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), the conference organizers.
This is a volunteer run event
IDSA SF chapter officers are IDSA members and volunteers. All registration fees are used to offset tournament expenses so there are no profits generated from this event. A detailed breakdown of expenses will be available upon request after the champion is crowned.
What I agree to by participating in the tournament
- The second place team is responsible for hosting the tournament the following year. That includes planning, collecting registration fees, paying vendors, setting up and breadking down the event and running the show! All registered teams agree to host the following year if they come in second place (4% chance).
- At the end of the tournament, the second place team needs to collect all dodgeballs, cones and field supplies and store them in their studio for next year's event.
- IDSA reserves the right to have participants sign an injury waiver or other forms as deemed necessary to maintain safety, security or comply with our insurance company's policies.