The University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design offers its students a platform ofintegrated disciplines—Architecture, Interior Architecture, and Industrial Design—from which to negotiate thecomplexities of contemporary practice in a world that is grappling with diminishing economic and naturalresources, the realities of post-disaster reconstruction, and at the same time, continued rapid urbanization. Ourprograms foster an environment where ideas fi nd form, where practices that are socially equitable andfundamentally ecological establish a model from which to develop Houston’s future and inform and share designstrategies globally.
The University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design established its Industrial Designprogram in 2003, the fi rst of its kind in a four-state region covering Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and New Mexico. It rapidly took its place as a premier program not only in the United States but internationally. TheCollege’s Industrial Design program focuses on applied research, critical thinking, technology, and the art ofmaking. Its curriculum emphasizes generative and discovery-oriented learning, supported by a design pedagogyof integrated, collaborative, and project-oriented learning. Attention to craft and design innovation is furtherenhanced by a premier digital fabrication facility, the Burdette Keeland, Jr. Design Exploration Lab. Theresources and environment of Houston, the country’s fourth largest city, provide an ideal learning context for thediscipline of Industrial Design with resources unique to the metro area, including NASA, the Texas MedicalCenter, and diverse industrial entities.
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design
- Master of Science in Industrial Design
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Design
- EunSook Kwon and SunJin Kim Scholarship in Industrial Design
- Joe Mashburn Memorial Endowed Scholarship for Applied Design
- 2022 Student Merit Award – Undergraduate
- 2022 IDEA Awards
- 2022 Professor Elected to National Academy of Inventors Senior Members
- 2021 IDSA Young Educator of the Year
- 2021 Bienenstock Furniture Competition – First Place
- 2020 Annual China Hardware Products International ID Competition – Bronze Prize
- 2020 DNA Parish Design Awards – Emerging Product Designer of the Year
- 2020 International Housewares Association Competition – Second Place