The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA)® 2018 jury touts some firsts. “For the first time in 38 years we have curated a design jury with a well-balanced demographic," says Jury Chair Michael Kahwaji, IDSA, senior design manager at Whirlpool Corp. "I’m proud to announce this year’s jury includes 12 women, as well as experts in branding, service design and graphic design. This will enable IDEA to truly reflect the multidisciplinary facet of the competition. I hope this jury will inspire more entries and a broader cross section of disciplines.”
Kahwaji is returning to the IDEA jury for a third year. Prior to Whirlpool, he worked at Zircon Corp. developing DIY and commercial-grade tools, and as a graphic designer at DesignCrew. He serves on the MFA Advisory Council at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit and as an adjunct design instructor at the University of Notre Dame. The Western Michigan and Notre Dame alum also collaborates with installation artists and has shown his work nationally and internationally.
Jurors are respected leaders in their fields. Other jurors originally hail from countries including the United States, Canada, China, England, Germany, Guatemala, New Zealand and Nigeria. Some are former IDEA winners themselves. Jurors also work for some of the world’s largest corporations, major design studios and leading universities:
- Tor Alden, IDSA, principal/CEO, HS Design, Inc.
- Kristine Arth, director of brand, fuseproject
- Jordan Bahler, IDSA, lead industrial designer, Delta Faucet Co.
- Alina Butan, divisional design director, footwear materials, Nike
- Kirsten Climer, UX Leadership Team, Google
- Michael DiTullo, founder and chief creative, Michael DiTullo LLC
- Mark Evans, PhD, I/IDSA, reader in industrial design, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
- Kegan Fisher, founder, undisclosed startup
- Jose Gamboa, IDSA, product development lead, Hatch Idea Development
- Claire Gottschalk, principal industrial designer, Valve
- Marc Greuther, chief curator and senior director of historical resources, Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
- Dan Harden, IDSA, president and CEO, Whipsaw Inc.
- Cory Herbst, IDSA, principal industrial designer, Stryker Corp.
- Summer Hill, manager of product design and development, Schurman Retail Group-Papyrus
- Tim Kelley, IDSA, co-owner, Blue Sky Exhibits LLC
- Jonathon Kemnitzer, IDSA, co-founder and principal, KEM STUDIO
- Christopher Kuh, vice president, industrial design studio, Ammunition
- Sheng-Hung Lee, I/IDSA, creative director and engineer, Sheng-Hung Lee Design, China
- Jenny Light, senior marketing manager, Cartoon Network
- Alex Lobos, IDSA, graduate director, industrial design, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Chrissy Naples, IDSA, senior industrial designer, Dolby Laboratories
- Verena Paepcke-Hjeltness, IDSA, Iowa State University
- Tony Parker, associate pro vice chancellor, College of Creative Arts, Massey University, University of New Zealand
- Demetrius Romanos, VP global design, Targus
- Bryce Rutter, PhD, IDSA, founder and CEO, Metaphase; chair, IDSA Medical Design Conference 2018
- Nasahn Sheppard, IDSA, divisional vice president of product design, REI
- Rotimi Solola, IDSA, adjunct professor, University of Illinois-Chicago
- Joe Stitzlein, IDSA, creative director/strategist, Stitzlein Studio
- Jillian Tackaberry, industrial designer, MNML
- Pip Tompkin, IDSA, principal, Pip Tompkin Design Studio
- Jon Winebrenner, founder and president, Hurdler Studios, Canada
- Moni Wolf, senior principal designer, Microsoft Research
IDEA is open for entry through March 19, 2018.