IDSA Marks 50 Years by Unveiling Winners of IDEA 2015
In a red carpet ceremony at stunning Benaroya Hall in Seattle, WA on August 22, 2015, the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) unveiled the Gold, Silver and Bronze winners of the 2015 International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA).
“Tonight, we inspire you to reach for the Gold,” said John Barratt, the new chair of IDSA’s Board of Directors and president and CEO of TEAGUE, as he launched the 35th annual IDEA ceremony which was held during the 50th anniversary of IDSA.
“I hope you are excited as I am by the future of design excellence,” added Matthew Marzynski, chair of the IDEA 2015 jury.
He was joined by three other IDEA presenters—who also served on the 24-member jury: Marc Greuther, chief curator at The Henry Ford; Owen Foster, IDSA’s 2015 Educator of the Year; and Cameron Campbell of Methodoligie, who will be the IDEA 2016 jury chair.
Among more than 1,700 entries from around the world, the 28 Gold winners of IDEA 2015 are:
- Automotive & Transportation—Blackline Bicycle
- Commercial & Industrial—Black Onyx; Blackmagic Cintel Film Scanner
- Communication Tools—ConferenceCam Connect
- Computer Equipment—Cardboard; Seven
- Design Strategy—Coloplast Design DNA; Innova Schools
- Digital Design—Naver Service History Wall at Connect One; Post-it Plus App
- Entertainment—Blackmagic URSA; NX mini
- Environments—National September 11 Museum
- Home & Bath—F50LW-A Water Helmet; Living Square Washbasin with SaphirKeramik
- Kitchen—Craft Beer Glasses; GE Micro Kitchen
- Medical & Scientific—Brivo XR118; da Vinci Xi Surgical System; LUMI Medical Advanced Concept
- Outdoor & Garden—MultipliCITY
- Packaging & Graphics—Patagonia Baselayer Packaging
- Social Impact—Design Kit
- Sports, Leisure & Recreation—CLUG Bike Rack; Flip Reel by Squiddies
- Student Designs—Flo; IKO Prosthetic Creative System; Monstas Interactive Exercise Toys
The IDEA 2015 Chair Award was given to Blackmagic Cintel Film Sensor, for continuing to build a young legacy of industrial design. “For the past several years, Blackmagic has entered a remarkable collection of products into IDEA,” explained Marzynski. “I have watched jurors coveting the designs which have that pure, lizard brain, tech lust, high quality form and finish we love to see.”
- Considered Award—Google Cardboard
- Equality Award—Flo
- SPI Award—IKO Prosthetic Creative System
- Curator’s Choice—Flip Reel by Squiddies
The Tork Xpressnap Image Napkin Dispensing System won the IDEA 2015 People’s Choice Award. IDEA 2015’s most prestigious award, Best in Show, was given to Coloplast Design DNA by Coloplast and Native.
A complete list of IDEA 2015 winners can be found in the Gallery. Send your congratulations to all the winners on Twitter @IDSA #IDSAIDEA #IDSASeattle15
Nuna International served as the 2015 IDEA Red Carpet Sponsor. The Student Design category was sponsored by SPI. The 2015 IDEA Gala was sponsored by Samsung.
IDEA 2016 will be held during next year’s IDSA International Conference, set for August 17-20 in Detroit. The competition will begin accepting entries in January 2016.