The Nature of Design is "Crazy Inspiring"
The 2015 IDSA Central Design District Conference (CDDC), sponsored by GE Appliances in Columbus, OH, broke a registration record. And with a new conference app, standout sponsors and more energy than ever, the buzz continues.
The Nature of Design was held April 17-18. “It was just a blast," declares Central District Vice President Jeevak Badve, vice president of strategic growth at Sundberg-Ferar and founding board member of the new Michigan Design Council. "Seeing our design audience enjoying and learning in each and every aspect of the conference was amazing. Whether it was listening to the wisdom of biomimicry or enjoying the hear-to-heart talk from studio visits, winning door prizes or playing ping pong, it was learning at every moment."
Adds Badve, "It was one long ride to plan the conference, and seeing it unfold and gel with the expectations and actually delivering more, brings joy to me, too. It energizes me to build another one next year! I could actually feel the warmth of the camaraderie of our design community."
CDDC 2015 was hosted by the Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD) at the Joseph V. Canzani Center. “We are thankful to you and your colleagues at CCAD for your outstanding hospitality and support,” IDSA Executive Director Daniel Martinage tells CCAD Dean Tom Gattis, IDSA. “IDSA places a high value on our student and educator members. We will continue to work to improve our outreach and services to this extremely important segment of our membership.”
“The feedback I received was very positive,” responds Gattis. “The mix and variety of speakers was great—some very provocative and thought-provoking presentations that I really enjoyed. I believe it helped to support our mission to build a bigger and better design school at CCAD and overall was extremely positive. I want to thank you for your hard work and execution.”
CDDC kicked off with a visit to Lextant Labs and a pre-conference workshop by Lextant Vice President of Research Marty Gage, IDSA. Afternoon sessions featured Tom Hardy; Michael Luh; Tonya Matthews, PhD; Reade Harpham; Dean Gattis; and Joel Kashuba. Paul Kolada of Priority Designs delivered a 30-minute talk followed by live music by his firm's house band Locker 15.
Saturday’s lineup featured a SCOOPS Meeting for student and professional chapter leaders; an Artist Panel; and more sessions. That was followed by Student Merit Presentations, sponsored by Dassault Systemes Solidworks; workshops by IDSA members Owen Foster and John McCabe; and more sessions by Pete Foley, Bill Bowen and Tom DeMay, Jr.
"Avantech is excited to participate in IDSA's 2015 CDDC as a means of connecting the design community with the rotational molding industry," says Tom Innis, Avantech's vice president of sales and marketing. "This conference provides a perfect venue to interact with industrial designers, students, academia and original equipment manufacturers to position rotational molding as a viable design platform for new product development."
There was so much to talk about, the conversation continues on social media; here are some of our favorite tweets:
- lextant @lextant We're proud to kick-off #IDSACentral15 on 4/17. Interesting speakers & great topics!
- Catherine Meschia @c_meschia: Idk how many times I've used the word awesome this weekend, but that's what #IDSACentral15 was. Thanks 4 an awesome conference @jeevakbadve! 2nd panel @ #IDSACentral15 was crazy inspiring- I'll be sharing reflections about the awesome speakers.
- Christopher B @christopherID Central seat at the central conference #IDSACENTRAL15 #idsa
- Pete foley @foley_pete Great time at #IDSACentral15. Lots of great discussions/connections, especially around innovation inspired by nature #biomimicry
- Lauren Purkhiser @lepurkhiser #idsacentral15 was epic! Had a blast at Priority Designs. #idsacentral15 #designersrock @ Priority Designs Inc
Avantech @AvantechTools As if by divine intervention, #rotomolded coffee dispensers appear to amazement of #IDSACentral15 attendees.
- #IDSACentral15 has officially been reclassified from an event to a MOVEMENT! Positive mojo abounds!
- Mia Cinelli @miacinelli Thanks @lextant for the great presentation this morning! #IDSACentral15