IDSA Announces 2017 Election Results
Results from the IDSA election that was held in March 2017 will take effect May 1, 2017.
Three open positions have been filled on IDSA’s Board of Directors (BOD) for the 2017–19 term:
- David Wynne, IDSA, joins the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee as Secretary/Treasurer,
overseeing the Society’s funds and records and ensuring that proper accounting procedures are followed. Wynne is VP finance and strategy at Boxed. Previously, he served as VP operational finance at American Apparel. Wynne earned an MBA from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, a master’s degree in product development from Carnegie Mellon University and a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with minors in industrial design and business, also from CMU.
- Qin Li, IDSA, is continuing as an At-Large Director, with a special focus on the International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA). The industrial design director at fuseproject in San Francisco earned her BID from Guangzhou Academy of Fine Art in China and her MID from the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.
- Rebecca Alvord, IDSA, becomes Chapter Director. She is a senior industrial designer at GE Appliances in Louisville, KY and the co-founder and former chair of the IDSA Kentucky Chapter.
Megan Neese, IDSA, of Renaul-Nissan Alliance, will become the fourth woman in the 50+ year history of IDSA to hold the position of Chair of the Board of Directors. She has served as Chair-Elect since May 1, 2016. The other Board members are: Sean Hägen, IDSA, of BlackHägen Design, Inc., Section Director; Paul Hatch, IDSA, of TEAMS Design, At-Large Director; Scott Shim, IDSA, of Notre Dame University, Education Director; and IDSA Executive Director Daniel Martinage, CAE.
Three, new District Chapter Representatives will make up the new Districts Committee, focusing on chapters in their respective Districts:
- Chris Livaudais, IDSA, served as IDSA BOD South District VP from 2015–17; chair of the IDSA Atlanta Chapter from 2012 to 2015; and treasurer of the IDSA Atlanta Chapter from 2007 to 2011. Now, the associate director of experience and service design with InReality, will serve as West District Chapter Representative.
- John McCabe, IDSA, of Aether Learning and SHiFT Design Camp, was named IDSA’s Young Educator of the Year in 2016. He becomes the South District Chapter Representative.
- Tony Schmidt, IDSA will serve as Midwest District Representative. Since 2013, the exhibit designer with PGAV Destinations has served in several positions with IDSA’s St. Louis Chapter—education chair; chair and co-vice chair.
In addition, several key changes have been approved in the IDSA Bylaws. “The revisions reflect a significant shift in the Society’s governance strategy—resulting in more fluidity and better alignment with nonprofit best practices," says Martinage. See how:
- Vice President titles have been changed to Director (Chapter VP to Chapter Director; Section VP to Section Director; and Education VP to Education Director).
- The responsibilities of District Vice Presidents (DVPs) have been shifted from the BOD, to the new Districts Committee, with a singular focus on chapters. The positions have been renamed District Chapter Representatives.
- The positions of Board Advisors have been added, representing a wide range of disciplines other than industrial design.
- The BOD term is being realigned according to calendar year. New terms will be phased in to run from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.