The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA)® will be open for entries Jan. 2–March 19, 2018 with a new look, an expanded jury and some new categories. "A new year brings new excitement," declares IDEA 2018 Jury Chair Michael Kahwaji, IDSA, senior design manager at Whirlpool Corp. "One of the world's most prestigious and rigorous design competitions is moving into its 38th year—revitalized and energized."
In fall 2017, with the help of fuseproject—the design studio founded by longtime IDSA member Yves Béhar—the awards program underwent changes including the redesign of its trophies. “For anyone who is a maker, who is building something, it’s the ultimate achievement to get an IDEA,” says Béhar. “IDEA is the award by designers, for designers. Fuseproject worked with IDSA to rebrand IDEA and redesign the trophy to reflect the evolving industry it celebrates."
Kahwaji is leading the 2018 jury that includes nearly three dozen design experts from some of the world’s largest corporations; major design studios; and leading universities:
- Tor Alden, IDSA, principal/CEO, HS Design, Inc.
- Kristine Arth, director of brand, fuseproject
- Jordan Bahler, IDSA, lead industrial designer, Delta Faucet Co.
- Alina Butan, divisional design director, footwear materials, Nike
- Kirsten Climer, UX Leadership Team, Google
- Michael DiTullo, founder and chief creative, Michael DiTullo LLC
- Mark Evans, Phd, I/IDSA, reader in industrial design, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
- Kegan Fisher, founder, undisclosed startup
- Jose Gamboa, IDSA, product development lead, Hatch Idea Development
- Claire Gottschalk, principal industrial designer, Valve
- Marc Greuther, chief curator and senior director of historical resources, Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
- Dan Harden, IDSA, president and CEO, Whipsaw Inc.
- Cory Herbst, IDSA, principal industrial designer, Stryker Corp.
- Summer Hill, manager of product design and development, Schurman Retail Group-Papyrus
- Tim Kelley, IDSA, co-owner, Blue Sky Exhibits LLC
- Jonathon Kemnitzer, IDSA, co-founder and principal, KEM STUDIO
- Christopher Kuh, vice president, industrial design studio, Ammunition
- Sheng-Hung Lee, I/IDSA, creative director and engineer, Sheng-Hung Lee Design, China
- Jenny Light, senior marketing manager, Cartoon Network
- Alex Lobos, IDSA, graduate director, industrial design, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Chrissy Naples, IDSA, senior industrial designer, Dolby Laboratories
- Verena Paepcke-Hjeltness, IDSA, Iowa State University
- Tony Parker, associate pro vice chancellor, College of Creative Arts, Massey University, University of New Zealand
- Demetrius Romanos, VP global design, Targus
- Bryce Rutter, PhD, IDSA, founder and CEO, Metaphase
- Nasahn Sheppard, IDSA, divisional vice president of product design, REI
- Rotimi Solola, IDSA, adjunct professor, University of Illinois-Chicago
- Joe Stitzlein, creative director/strategist, Stitzlein Studio
- Jillian Tackaberry, industrial designer, MNML
- Pip Tompkin, IDSA, principal, Pip Tompkin Design Studio
- Jon Winebrenner, founder and president, Hurdler Studios, Canada
- Moni Wolf, senior principal designer, Microsoft Research
For 2018, the 20 categories include three new ones: Home, which now includes Kitchen; Furniture & Lighting, including Outdoor Furniture; and Lifestyle & Accessories, formerly Personal Accessories. Branding and Consumer Technology categories were added in 2017.
Top IDEA 2017 winners are featured in the new INNOVATION magazine's Yearbook of Design Excellence, published in October 2017; the IDEA Gallery on IDSA.org; and global media outreach. Read more about the IDEA 2017 Ceremony, held at the Rich Theatre—and the Gala, held at the High Museum of Art—on Aug. 19 in Atlanta. Follow the journey to #IDSAIDEA 2018 on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram