Renowned Global Design Experts Named to Competition Panel
The IDSA International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) 2017 opens for entry Dec. 1, 2016 with a jury of 26 renowned design experts representing a wide range of disciplines. They have one goal in mind—to award coveted Gold, Silver and Bronze IDEAs in 20 categories in one of the world's most prestigious and rigorous design competitions.
The jurors’ global perspectives are drawn from educational backgrounds and careers that have taken them on design journeys—from England, Finland, Germany, Italy, Norway, the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland—to Guatemala, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and many more nations. Their international insight is essential when it comes to judging IDEA, in which entries are submitted by designers in more than two dozen countries. In addition, many of the jurors are former IDEA winners themselves who know just what it takes to rise to the top.
Owen Foster, IDSA, of SHiFT and Aether Global Learning, is the IDEA 2017 jury chair. He has a diverse background in architecture, landscape, environmental and industrial design—facilitating projects with Fortune 500 companies such as Coca-Cola, GE and McDonald’s. Honored as IDSA’s Educator of the Year in 2015, Foster has taught at Auburn University, University of Louisiana and Savannah College of Art and Design and guided international study programs in Ireland, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Taiwan and China. "I'm honored to have been selected as this year's jury chair," says Foster. "Working alongside the IDEA 2017 team, we've assembled an amazing group of individuals from an array of design fields to serve on this year's jury, so IDEA is at the forefront of redefining what design could and should be. "Joining Foster on the IDEA 2017 jury are:
- Ana Arriola, IDSA, Samsung
- Kristine Arth, fuseproject
- Jordan Bahler, IDSA, Delta Faucet Company
- Ti Chang, IDSA, CRAVE
- Ryan Eder, IDSA, IncludeFitness
- Nick Foster, X, (formerly Google[x])
- Marc Greuther, Henry Ford Museum
- Dan Harden, IDSA, Whipsaw
- Scot Herbst, Herbst Produkt
- Vincenzo Iavicoli, IDSA, College for Creative Studies
- Glenn Johnson, IDSA, B/E Aerospace Design Group
- Michael Kahwaji, IDSA, Whirlpool Corporation
- Christopher Kuh, Ammunition Design Group
- Sheng-Hung Lee, I/IDSA, Shanghai Institute of Visual Art
- Johan Liden, IDSA, aruliden
- Alex Lobos, IDSA, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Chrissy Naples, IDSA, Dolby Design
- Verena Paepcke-Hjeltness, IDSA, Iowa State University
- Tony Parker, Massey University College of Creative Arts, University of New Zealand
- Bryce Rutter, PhD, IDSA, Metaphase, IDSA Ambassador
- Nasahn Sheppard, IDSA, REI
- Joe Stitzlein, Stitzlein Studio
- Pip Tompkin, IDSA, Pip Tompkin Design Studio
- Jon Winebrenner, Hurdler Studios
- Lionel Wodecki, GE Healthcare Global Design
Ryan Eder, IDSA, first made headlines when, as a student at the University of Cincinnati, his design concept won Gold, Best in Show and People’s Choice in IDEA 2007. Almost ten years later, in 2016, Eder’s The Access Strength—now a reality—won another three IDEAs: Gold, Best in Show and Design for Equality. “Winning IDEA fundamentally changed everything—everything,” Eder emphasizes. “That recognition opened doors to pursue the concept.”
Jon Winebrenner’s Hurdler Studios scored Gold in IDEA 2015 with the Clug Bike Rack. Kristine Arth is director of brand at fuseproject, where she teamed up with founder Yves Béhar, IDSA, and others to design IDEA 2014 winner, UP24 by Jawbone. Lionel Wodecki, design architect at GE Healthcare Global Design in France, has won nine IDEAs including Gold for LUMI Advanced Medical Concept in 2015 and Cocoon Open MRI Chair in 2012. The designs of Dan Harden, IDSA, president and CEO of Whipsaw, have won more than 30 IDEAs.
Discounted early entry for IDEA 2017 runs from Dec. 1, 2016 through Jan. 2, 2017. Late registration closes March 17. Onsite jurying will be held at Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. Bronze winners will be announced in mid-May. Gold and Silver winners will be announced Aug. 19 in Atlanta.
Get the latest information on sponsorships, eligibility criteria, benefits, categories, rates, news, FAQs and previous winners here. Follow the excitement on #IDSAIDEA #IDSA17Atlanta @IDSA on Twitter; Industrial Designers Society of America on LinkedIn and Facebook; and @IDSAdesign on Instagram. Read more about IDEA 2016 winners online and in IDSA INNOVATION’s Yearbook of Excellence 2016. Buy IDEA 2016 winning products from the Gift Guide.