Design Excellence Takes Center Stage at The Henry Ford
In a grand, red carpet ceremony on Aug. 17, 2016 at the iconic Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI, the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) unveiled the Gold and Silver winners of the International Design Excellence Awards® (IDEA®) 2016. View the IDEA 2016 Gallery of 136 Gold, Silver and Bronze winners—chosen from among more than 1,700 entries worldwide.
“The IDEA 2016 winners show us the true meaning of design excellence,” said IDSA Board of Directors Chair—and TEAGUE President and CEO—John Barratt, IDSA, at the 36th annual IDEA Ceremony. The presentation was followed by the IDEA Gala that also served as the kickoff to the IDSA International Conference 2016 in Detroit.
Barratt was joined on stage by The Henry Ford President Patricia Mooradian and two IDEA 2016 jurors—The Henry Ford Chief Curator Marc Greuther and IDEA 2017 Jury Chair Owen Foster, IDSA. “I hope you’re as excited as we are by the future of design excellence on display,” said Foster.
IDEA 2016 Jury Chair Cameron Campbell, IDSA, led a team of global design experts to judge more than 600 finalists in June at The Henry Ford. “IDEA has an incredible legacy of establishing the best in international design,” she said. IDSA announced 63 Bronze winners on July 1 and revealed 26 Gold and 47 Silver winners at the Aug. 17 ceremony.
The Access Strength™ won three major awards—Best in Show; Design for Equity; and an IDEA 2016 Gold. The digital health platform provides value to payers, providers and patients/consumers in the healthcare system—pairing HIPAA-compliant cloud software with inclusive fitness equipment to lower barriers in fitness/rehabilitation for consumers, and to optimize the delivery of care for providers.
The Access Strength™ was designed by Ryan Eder, IDSA, founder and CEO of IncludeFitness and engineered by Priority Designs, Inc., with software developed by AWH—all based in Ohio. Eder first earned major recognition as a University of Cincinnati industrial design student nearly 10 years ago—winning Gold, Best in Show and People’s Choice in IDEA 2007 for a concept version of this project. Eder’s talk at IDSA’s International Conference on Aug. 18 focused on how he’s Making Things Happen—From Thesis to CEO.
The Gold winners of IDEA 2016 are:
- Automotive & Transportation
- HUBB Lifetime Oil Filter by Bob Riccomini and Marco Berkhout of Whipsaw, Inc. and Christopher Hubbard of HUBB Filters, Inc.
- Rolls-Royce Dawn by BMW Group
- VARD Offshore Subsea Construction Vessel Concept by Per Ivar Selvaag, Han Huynh, Kevin Capo, Andrew Smith and Adriana Monk of Montaag LLC; and Torkild Skjong, Kjell Morten Urke and Ove Bjorneseth of VARD, a Fincantieri company
- Children's Products
- mCookie by Wang Zhenshan, Pan Kejia, Li Xi, Feng Bin and Hu Jian of Microduino Inc
- Commercial & Industrial
- Communication Tools
- goTenna by Mark Prommel, IDSA; Marco Perry, IDSA; Peter Chung; Lisa Yanz Lehman, IDSA. Chad Ingerick of Pensa; and Daniela Perdomo and Jorge Perdomo of goTenna.
- Robin by Scott Croyle, Peter Riering-Czekalla and Ashley Yousling of Branch; and Josh Morenstein, IDSA; Willy Carteau; and Nick Cronan of Nextbit
- Computer Equipment
- Google OnHub by Dan Harden, IDSA; Hiro Teranishi; & Elliot Ortiz of Whipsaw Inc.; Pat Peri & Ben Brown of Google, Inc.
- Design Strategy
- Dolby HQ Environmental Design Strategy by Dolby Design for Dolby Labs, Inc.
- Digital Design
- Hammerhead One by Piet Morgan, Laurence Wattrus, Raveen Beemsingh and Julio Radesca of Hammerhead
- OZO Virtual Reality Camera by Alejandro Sanguinetti, Matthieu Nollet, Otso Koski and Axel Meyer of Nokia Design for Nokia Corp.
- SERIF TV by Ronan Bouroullec, Erwan Bouroullec of ERB SARL; and Yun-je Kang, Kang-il Chung and Dong-hee Won of Samsung Electronics. Co. Ltd.
- Vive Virtual Reality System by HTC Corp.
- TetraPOT by Sheng-Hung Lee and Wan Kee Lee of IDEO
- Home & Bath
- Kelvin Coffee Bean Roaster Concept by Dan Kraemer, Luis Velasquez, Luke Westra, Derek Smith and Sean Sanders of IA Collaborative
- Medical & Scientific
- Personal Accessories
- OneBlade by Mark Prommel, IDSA; Marco Perry, IDSA; Kevin O’Leary; Thomas Mattimore; and Avi Bajpai of Pensa. Tod Barrett of OneBlade.
- Service Design
- Audi on Demand by Toby Bottorf, Stefano Bianchini, Bill Gastrock and Abby Bickel of Continuum LLC for Audi Mobility
- Social Impact
- Suncubator Concept by Joon Kwon, Jihye Hong, Insup Yun, Minha Kwon and Usuk Lee of Geometry Global Korea
- Sports, Leisure & Recreation
- The Access Strength™ by Priority Designs, Inc.; AWH; and Ryan Eder of IncludeFitness
- Student Designs
Also announced at the IDEA 2016 Ceremony:
- Beautility Award—SERIF TV
- Chair Award—Vive Virtual Reality System
- Considered Design Award—Nascent Objects
- Curator’s Choice—BoneAid
- People’s Choice—Pebble Time Round by Pebble Industrial Design Team
IDEA 2016 supporter-sponsors are Flextronics, Philips Design and Whipsaw. American Standard served as the IDEA 2016 Red Carpet Sponsor. The IDEA 2016 Gala was sponsored by Samsung. Core77 served as an IDEA 2016 media sponsor.
Congratulate IDEA 2016 winners with #IDSAIDEA #IDSADetroit16 @IDSA on Twitter; Industrial Designers Society of America on LinkedIn and Facebook; and @IDSAdesign on Instagram. IDEA 2017 will begin accepting entries in December 2016. The IDEA 2017 Ceremony will be held in conjunction with the IDSA International Conference 2017, set for Aug. 16 to 19 at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis.
Founded in 1965, the nonprofit IDSA is one of the oldest and largest membership associations for industrial design professionals. IDSA has thousands of members in dozens of Student Chapters, Professional Chapters and Special Interest Sections in the United States and internationally. IDSA sponsors IDEA®, the world’s most prestigious and rigorous design competition. The Society hosts events including an annual International Design Conference, five District Design Conferences and a Medical Design Conference, bringing together some of the biggest names and brightest minds in industrial design and related fields. Global outreach includes designUpdate and designBytes e-newsletters; INNOVATION—IDSA’s flagship publication—a highly regarded magazine within the profession; and the Yearbook of Design Excellence, featuring IDEA, IDSA Award and Student Merit Award winners. IDSA Ambassadors support and promote industrial design with research and thought leadership such as INsights.
For more information, contact SudhaK@idsa.org.