Faculty Advisors to IDSA Student Chapters welcomed the launch of the 2017 IDSA Student Merit Award (SMA) competition on Friday, January 13. The SMAs will run through March 17! We are pleased to announce that the competition is once more sponsored by Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp.
KEY DATES – Faculty Advisors to IDSA Student Chapters are advised of the following:
- January 13, 2017 (Fri) – Begin the competition as soon as possible at your school's IDSA Student Chapter
- March 17, 2017 (Fri) - Conclude the competition at your school
NEW: School SMA winners are guaranteed a rate of $125 to attend the DDC. This represents a discount off the early rate for student registrants, in recognition of the honor.
GET STARTED – To assist you, we have attached the following three (3) documents:
- SMA Program Guidelines - Outlines the procedures at the student chapter and DDC (i.e. National) levels
- Student Chapter (Faculty Advisor) Roster by District
- Professional Chapter Chair Roster by District
ELIGIBILITY – Faculty Advisors will be notified whether their student chapter is out of compliance and informed about the steps needed to correct. For your information, here are the requirements:
- An industrial design or related degree program, undergraduate and/or graduate, at the school
- Minimum of five ( 5) IDSA student members at the student chapter
- Chapter Officers (Pres., Vice Pres., Sec./Treas. and others, as needed) who are IDSA student members
- Faculty Advisor who is an IDSA professional member and on the ID faculty at the school
SUPPORT – Faculty Advisors are strongly encouraged to connect with any of the following to support you and help resolve any issues that come up along the way:
- Headquarter Staff – coordinate start/close of process from National, support competition at DDC
- District Education Representative – organizes/conducts DDC competition, SCOOPs, etc.
- Central – Peter Chamberlain, IDSA (email@example.com, tel: 513.260.1338)
- Midwest – Aaron Scott, IDSA (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 618.453.7503)
- Northeast – Tod Corlett, IDSA (CorlettT@philau.edu, tel: 215.951.2551)
- South – Donald “Don” Corey, IDSA (email@example.com, tel: 919.601.8326)
- West – Joshua Nelson, IDSA (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 801.472.0201)
- Professional Chapter Officers –identify practitioners for school competition jurying (see above - GETTING STARTED #3)
- Education Vice President – heads Education Council providing strategic leadership for SMAs
- Scott Shim, IDSA (email@example.com, tel: 574.631.6836)
- District Vice President – organizes/conducts DDC where district level competition is held
- Central – Chris Brown, IDSA (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 614.291.2435 x302)
- Midwest – Marianne Grisdale, IDSA (email@example.com, tel: 312.733.5063 x216)
- Northeast – Ayse Birsel, IDSA (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 212.965.9001)
- South – Christopher “Chris" Livaudais, IDSA (email@example.com, tel: 770.953.1500 x85)
- West – Jason Belaire, IDSA (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 303.895.6986)
- Faculty Advisors – your peers can share the benefit of their experiences (see above - GETTING STARTED #2)
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. Also, please confirm for us that your school plans to participate in this prestigious program that offers your students an invaluable opportunity to showcase their talents and start a pathway of recognition for their unique abilities and competitive edge.