The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA)® is a premier international design competition sponsored annually by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) and judged by renowned design experts from around the world. #IDSAIDEA 2017 Top and Bronze winners can be previewed here. Choose your favorite design and vote online through Aug. 11 for People's Choice Award. Top IDEA winners are featured in IDSA's INNOVATION magazine's Yearbook of Design Excellence; IDSA.org; and global media outreach. On Aug. 19, the IDEA 2017 Ceremony, open to the public, will be held at the Rich Theater. The ticketed, black-tie optional IDEA Gala will be held at the High Museum of Art. Both venues are part of the Woodruff Arts Center in Atlanta, GA. See the latest IDSA and IDEA media coverage, press releases and more here.
NEW for 2017 Plastics Innovation Award: Recognizing the most creative, innovative and best plastic application design; selected by the Plastics Industry Association.
Benefits of Winning
IDEA winners receive significant, international publicity and exposure. Read winner testimonials. In contrast to many other design awards, most of the associated perks of winning an IDEA are included with your entry fee. In addition to our media partners' announcements of the winners, print and online media publicize IDEA winners' stories each year. IDSA's annual Yearbook of Design Excellence, featuring in-depth coverage of the Gold winners and a complete listing of all honorees, is distributed to an international audience of design and business executives.
- Publicity–International press exposure of close to 500,000 views
- Yearbook of Design Excellence–inclusion in and copy of this keepsake
- Trophies for Gold, Silver and Bronze winners
- IDEA Gallery online–attracting more than 3,000 page views/month and featuring a new SEARCH function, making it easier to find winning products
- A selection of IDEA winners showcased in an exhibit at The Henry Ford
- Winning products become part of the permanent collection of The Henry Ford Museum
- License to display IDEA winner logo on the website, packaging, advertising and merchandising materials of the winning product
IDEA judging is based on the following criteria for design excellence. A winning design meets most of these criteria in a positive manner, category dependent.
- Design Innovation - How is this design unique or innovative compared to other designs in this category?
- User Experience - How does this design deliver a simple, intuitive or delightful user experience?
- Benefit to the Client - How does this design improve the client or manufacturer's profitability, brand reputation, employee morale, etc.?
- Benefit to Society - How does this design benefit the greater good; consider society, the environment, culture, the economy, etc.?
- Appropriate Aesthetics - The judges will use the provided visual materials (photos and optional video) to assess this category dependent criteria.
- Early Bird Entry Period – Dec. 1, 2016 – Jan. 2, 2017
- Regular Entry Period – Jan. 3 – March 3
- Late Entry Period – Mar. 4 – Mar. 17
- Online Jurying – Mar. 22 – Apr. 7
- Finalists notified – Week of Apr. 10
- Top & Bronze Winners Announced – June 29, online
- IDSA IDEA 2017 Ceremony and Gala – Aug. 19, Atlanta