The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA)® 2018 opens for entries Jan. 2 with an expanded jury, a new look and some new categories. The annual global competition has been conducted for 38 years by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA). "A new year brings new excitement," declares IDEA 2018 Jury Chair Michael Kahwaji, IDSA. "One of the world's most prestigious and rigorous design competitions is moving into its 38th year—revitalized and energized."
Kahwaji is leading the 2018 jury that includes nearly three dozen experts in a wide variety of design disciplines from some of the world’s largest corporations, major design studios and leading universities. The 2018 categories include three new ones: Home; Furniture & Lighting; and Lifestyle & Accessories. Branding and Consumer Technology were added in 2017. Also, with the help of fuseproject—the design studio founded by longtime IDSA member Yves Béhar—the awards program has undergone changes including the redesign of its trophies. “For anyone who is a maker, who is building something, it’s the ultimate achievement to get an IDEA,” says Béhar. “IDEA is the award by designers, for designers."
Plastics Innovation Award: Recognizing the most creative, innovative and best plastic application design; selected by the Plastics Industry Association.
Benefits of Winning
IDEA winners receive significant, international publicity and exposure. Read winner testimonials. In contrast to many other design awards, most of the associated perks of winning an IDEA are included with your entry fee. In addition to our media partners' announcements of the winners, print and online media publicize IDEA winners' stories each year. IDSA's annual Yearbook of Design Excellence, featuring in-depth coverage of the Gold winners and a complete listing of all honorees, is distributed to an international audience of design and business executives.
- Publicity–International press exposure of close to 500,000 views
- Yearbook of Design Excellence–inclusion in and copy of this keepsake
- IDEA Gallery online–attracting more than 3,000 page views/month and featuring a new SEARCH function, making it easier to find winning products
- Winning products become part of the permanent collection of The Henry Ford Museum
- License to display IDEA winner logo on the website, packaging, advertising and merchandising materials of the winning product
IDEA judging is based on the following criteria for design excellence. A winning design meets most of these criteria in a positive manner, category dependent.
- Design Innovation: How is this design unique or innovative compared to other designs in this category?
- User Experience: How does this design deliver a simple, intuitive or delightful user experience?
- Benefit to the Client: How does this design improve the client or manufacturer's profitability, brand reputation, employee morale, etc.?
- Benefit to Society: How does this design benefit the greater good; consider society, the environment, culture, the economy, etc.?
- Appropriate Aesthetics: The judges will use the provided visual materials (photos and optional video) to assess this category dependent criteria.
IDEA 2018 Schedule
- Open for Entry: Jan. 2, 2018
- Regular Entry Period: Jan. 2–March 5
- Late Entry Period: March 6–March 19
- Finalists notified by: April 18
- Winners notified by: June 1