IDEA 2011 Best in Shows Honored Along with Other Special IDEA Winners at This Year's Ceremony
This year the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) unveiled the Best in Shows for the 2011 International Design Excellence Awards® (IDEA) at its annual international conference in New Orleans on Sept. 17. Bespoke Fairings, Boeing Dreamliner 787 and Windows Phone 7 all walked away with a coveted Best in Show award.
“While vastly different products, all three of this year’s Best in Show designs excelled in improving the human experience with a technology product,” said IDSA’s CEO Clive Roux. “The Windows 7 Phone improves on the iPhone interface; the Boeing 787 improves the experience of flying through a combination of larger windows, improved cabin pressure stability and careful attention to lighting to ease transitions between time zones. The Bespoke Fairing speaks for itself. It humanizes and adds sensitivity to a prosthetic unlike any I’ve seen before.”
In addition to winning a Best in Show, Windows Phone 7 took home the People’s Choice Award. The Hydropack Self-Hydrating Drink Pouch received the Curator’s Choice Award, which was given by The Henry Ford.
For the first time IDSA honored 12 products with a Responsibility Award. The following designs earned a Responsibility Award:
- Bespoke Fairings for showing responsibility to the human right for dignity and self-esteem.
- Boeing 787 Dreamliner reduces waste, improves fuel efficiency and restores the majesty of flight for human passengers.
- Chilote House Shoes made from up-cycled salmon leather.
- Daktari CD4 HIV Diagnostic Instrument brings life-saving diagnostics to remote regions.
- Hydropack™ Self-Hydrating Drink Pouch
- MIT Global Challenge, a platform for students and faculty to collaborate with others to solve the world’s most challenging problems.
- Modern Glass Water Bottle, a better alternative to bottled water.
- Preserve Mail Back Pack Toothbrush provides an end-to-end recycling solution.
- Prism low-impact street lamps create a stronger sense of security by night.
- PUMA Clever Little Bag eliminates the need for a retail plastic bag.
- Simple Shoes Toddler’s Doodle use materials and processes in the most responsible way.
- Splash! How Good Water Works an interactive exhibition that promotes responsible use of our most important resource.
Thank you again to this year’s sponsors Dow Corning, Lextant and Microsoft, and media sponsors and partners Core 77, Curve magazine, facesofdesign.com, Fast Company, FUSE conference and Yanko Design.