Henry P Glass, FIDSA
Inducted into the Academy of Fellows: 1965
US industrial designer who was born in Vienna, Austria and studied architecture at the Technical University of Vienna 1929-1936. He emigrated to the United States in 1939 and worked for Gilbert Rohde and Russel Wright. In 1940, he went to Chicago and studied under László Moholy-Nagy and Gyorgy Kepes at the Institute of Design.
In 1946, Glass opened his studio in the Furniture Mart, and began teaching at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where he served as a full professor until 1969.
He joined the American Designers Institute in 1939, was chair of the Chicago Chapter of ASID 1959-1960, and became an ADI Fellow.
His Fellowship was honored by IDSA in 1965 upon merger of the societies.
"Glass, who spent more than six decades designing automobiles, houses and more, states that the hairpin leg was the product of which he was the most proud," writes woodworkingnetwork.com Editorial Director Bill Esler about an interview Glass gave to IDSA in 2001.