IDSA conducts several different types of awards including the International Design Excellence Awards® recognizing design excellence in product design around the world. In addition the society conducts annual recognition through its IDSA Awards program, including the Personal Recognition Award, Education Awards and the Special Award. Students of industrial design are eligible to participate in the IDSA Student Merit program initiated at their school level and culminating at each District. Finally, members can be awarded the highest honor by being inducted into the Academy of Fellows.
International Design Excellence Awards
IDEA is a premier international design competition, recognizing and promoting excellence across a wide array of industries and disciplines, including commercial products, entertainment, home goods, social impact designs and student designs. Gold Silver and Bronze winners are recognized. Winning entries receive worldwide press and are housed in a permanent collection at The Henry Ford.
IDSA members in good standing are invited to nominate candidates for the Academy of Fellows, the Personal Recognition Award, Education Awards and the Special Award.
- Academy of Fellows recommendations are for members in good standing who have earned the special respect and affection of the membership through distinguished service to the society and to the profession as a whole.
- The Personal Recognition Award recognizes designers or other individuals whose involvement in, and support of, design has made him/her a special friend of the profession and major contributor to its long-term welfare and importance.
- The Special Award recognizes organizations for notable results, creative and innovative concepts and long-term benefits to the profession, its educational function and society at large.
- The IDSA Education Award is presented in recognition of significant and distinguished contributions to the field of industrial design education.
- The IDSA Young Educator of the Year Award is presented in recognition of the contributions of younger faculty who have made the choice to dedicate their careers primarily to the education of the next generation of designers.
Student Merit Awards
The Student Merit Awards are presented to student members from student chapters in an effort to encourage, reward and celebrate excellence in industrial design education. Please review the Student Merit Awards overview for competition guidelines and deadlines.
- Fellows Nomination Form
- Personal Recognition Award Nomination Form
- Special Award Nomination Form
- IDSA Education Award Nomination Form
- IDSA Young Educator of the Year Award Nomination Form
- Student Merit Award Guidelines
If you have questions, please contact Karen Berube at KarenB@idsa.org. We look forward to receiving your nominations.
Please note: all nominations must come from IDSA members in good standing, including letters of support and supplementary materials.